UPDATE: California Strawberries
April 21, 2015
Markon First Crop and Markon Best Available Strawberries are not available; packer label is being substituted in all California growing regions. Open-market prices are rising. Coastal drizzle and below-average temperatures are slowing growth; the majority of berries are medium in size, with a smaller percentage of small fruit. Light rain is expected early next week with more precipitation in the forecast for May 1. Inconsistent weather patterns over the next 7 to 10 days will keep supplies tight as demand strengthens for Mother’s Day demand.
- Cooler temperatures are slowing growth; berries are taking longer to reach full color
- 2/4-pound packs will be sporadic; 8/1-pound clamshells are being substituted
- Supplies will remain tight through Mother’s Day
- Prices are rising; demand is exceeding supply
- Light wind damage and bruising are minor quality problems
- Lead time is recommended to ensure order coverage
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.