UPDATE: California Strawberries
June 24, 2016
Markon First Crop (MFC) Strawberries are available. Prices are steady at low levels; supplies are ample. Warm weather continues to increase overall supplies. Inland ranches (Salinas Valley farms versus others located in Watsonville’s coastal growing area) are beginning to display heat-related defects, however, MFC Strawberries are being packed on the coastal ranches where temperatures are more moderate.
- Growers are culling berries with ANY sign of heat-related issues
- Harvesting crews are being instructed to avoid soft and overripe berries
- Quality control inspections ensure that any clamshells with issues are addressed in the fields and on the docks
- Markon inspectors report good overall quality with only minor bleeding and bruising at shipping points
- Higher-than-normal temperatures (upper 70s/low 80s) will persist next week
- Markon inspectors will continue to monitor quality on a daily basis and report any changes
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.