UPDATE: Broccoli and Cauliflower Supplies
December 02, 2015
Colder-than-normal daytime weather coupled with freezing early morning temperatures in the Salinas Valley, Santa Maria, and the Arizona/California desert growing region over the last several weeks are reducing broccoli and cauliflower supplies. Prices are high.
- Broccoli and cauliflower supplies remain extremely limited on the West Coast; prices are elevated
- Freezing temperatures in the Arizona/California desert growing region are slowing growth and delaying harvests
- Despite limited West Coast supplies, Mexican stocks (into South Texas) are abundant
- Slightly warmer weather is expected in the desert growing region at the end of this week and into next week
- Supplies should start increasing by the end of next week
- The extended forecast calls for lower-than-normal temperatures, so overall growth will be slow
- Markon First Crop Broccoli Crowns and Markon Essentials Cauliflower are sporadic; packer label will be substituted due to limited supplies and quality issues
- Supplies will remain tight and prices will be volatile over the next several weeks
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.