UPDATE: Broccoli and Cauliflower
April 12, 2016
Broccoli supplies will be sufficient for the next two weeks, with fewer stocks forecast for the week of April 25; the market will inch up. Expect tight cauliflower supplies this week; prices are rising. Volume should increase by the end of next week.
- Strong demand is being met with sufficient production from Salinas and Santa Maria, California as well as Mexico (loading in South Texas)
- Growers have been harvesting ahead of schedule for several weeks; stocks are expected to tighten the week of April 25
- Quality is very good, but inspectors have reported minor issues such as discoloration and long branches
- Markon First Crop Broccoli Crowns are sporadic; Markon Best Available will be substituted as necessary due to branchy stems
- Prices will rise into the mid-20s this week
- Ready Set Serve contract trigger levels are expected to be met by Monday, April 18
- Most growers predict increased volume by the end of next week
- Yuma production will end this week; crops in Salinas and Santa Maria are struggling to meet strong demand
- Large sizes (9-count heads) will be scarce until supplies increase, especially in Salinas
- Markon Essentials Cauliflower is available
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.