UPDATE: Broccoli and Cauliflower
August 28, 2015
Consistently warm temperatures in Santa Maria and the Salinas Valley continue to reduce broccoli and cauliflower yields. Slow production and strong demand are pushing up prices. Expect volatile markets over the next two to three weeks.
- Markon First Crop Broccoli Crowns are sporadic; Markon Best Available will be substituted as necessary
- FOB crown prices will reach the high 20s by next week
- Strong school demand is causing sharp increases to the crown and bunch markets
- Warm night temperatures and frequent heat waves are causing quality issues such as brown bead, hollow core, knuckly heads, and low branches
- Expect limited stocks and rising prices into next week
- Markon Essentials Cauliflower is sporadic; packer label cartons will be substituted as necessary
- High temperatures have also diminished quality and lowered yields
- Small size, rice-like texture, knuckly heads, and yellow casts are issues
- Expect limited supplies for several weeks
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.