UPDATE: Broccoli and Cauliflower
December 01, 2016
The bulk of broccoli and cauliflower shipments have now transitioned from the West Coast (Salinas and Santa Maria) into the Arizona/California desert growing region. Cooler daytime weather (coupled with freezing early morning temperatures in the desert) are expected to decrease plant maturity and strengthen markets. Broccoli supplies out of central Mexico (loading in South Texas) are plentiful. Production from Northern Mexico, crossing into the Arizona/California desert, is just getting started. Expect the cauliflower market to increase this week, followed by broccoli next week.
- Markon First Crop Broccoli Crowns are available in South Texas
- Markon Best Available Broccoli Crowns are being shipped from Yuma, Arizona due to quality issues such as yellow bead and hollow core
- Freezing temperatures in the Arizona/California desert growing region are expected to slow growth and delay harvests
- Product loading in South Texas has the best quality; Arizona/California desert and Northern Mexico quality are likely to improve in two weeks as their season progresses
- Markon Essentials Cauliflower is available to load in Yuma, Arizona
- Sizing remains ideal and heads are maintaining good white color
- We anticipate tight supplies and volatile prices over the next several weeks
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.