UPDATE: Broccoli and Cauliflower
September 13, 2016
The broccoli market continues to inch up; supplies are limited in Salinas and Santa Maria, California. West Coast demand is strong as growing areas in Canada, the Northeast, and Mexico are winding down. Cauliflower volume is lower than last week; prices are expected to climb. Days are shorter, nights are cooler, and demand is strengthening as regional harvests are wrapping up.
- Markon First Crop Broccoli Crowns are sporadic; Markon Best Available will be substituted as necessary
- Stocks in Central Mexico will increase over the next few weeks, but strong demand will keep prices high
- Growers in Salinas and Santa Maria are reporting pin rot, wind damage, and hollow core; both are being closely monitored at the field level
- Expect limited stocks and rising prices into next week
- Markon Essentials Cauliflower is sporadic; packer label cartons will be substituted as needed
- Shorter days and cooler nights are reducing yields; strong demand is driving up the market
- Bruising and discoloration are slight issues, but overall quality is good
- Expect limited supplies for several weeks
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.