UPDATE: Broccoli and Cauliflower
March 11, 2015
The broccoli and cauliflower markets continue to rise. Hot weather pushed Arizona desert broccoli harvesting ahead of schedule, creating shortages. Salinas production has started, but is limited. Cauliflower harvesting is finishing up quickly in the Arizona desert; new crop Salinas supplies are very limited. Expect elevated prices for the next several weeks.
- Markon First Crop Broccoli Crowns are sporadic; Markon Best Available will be substituted as necessary
- FOB crown prices are reaching the $20.00 FOB range
- Crown quality is good, but hollow core and pin rot are problems due to recent heat and rain
- Long stems and branchy crowns are also issues
- Harvesting has begun in Salinas, California, but supplies are very tight
- The market continues to rise
- Supplies are extremely tight; demand is strong
- Prices will reach the high twenties/low thirties by the end of the week
- Desert production is ending and Salinas harvesting is not fully underway, creating a supply gap
- Large sizes (9- and 12-count heads) are very limited; there is slightly better availability of small sizes (16-count supplies)
- Expect very limited stocks for the next 10 to 14 days
- Ready-Set-Serve Cauliflower Florets have hit first-tier trigger levels
- Markon Essentials Cauliflower is sporadic; packer label will be substituted
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.