UPDATE: Blackberries and Raspberries
September 10, 2015
Raspberry and blackberry supplies are limited due to recent high temperatures in the Salinas-Watsonville growing region; prices are elevated. Production has drastically decreased and harvesting has been curtailed due to the abnormally warm weather.
- Abnormally warm weather patterns have limited harvests; volume is very low
- Harvesting crews have been sent home early for the past two days due to triple-digit temperatures inside growing hoops
- Bleeding, bruising, and soft texture are quality concerns
- Cooler weather is expected next week; availability should increase at that time
- Limited quantities of Mexican blackberries have begun crossing into South Texas; volume levels are not expected until early to mid-October
- Mexican raspberries are expected to start crossing into the U.S. in late September/early October
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.