UPDATE: Bell Peppers, Cucumbers, and Squash
November 13, 2015
Bell pepper prices are elevated; the cucumber and squash markets will remain high for several weeks until production increases in Mexico (into Nogales, Arizona and South Texas). Stocks are sufficient in Central Florida, but because West Coast supplies are limited, prices will rise there as well.
- Harvesting is nearly finished in Georgia; East Coast harvests have transitioned to Central Florida for the winter
- California production remains in the Coachella Valley, but prices are high due to limited supplies, especially on large sizes
- Mexico green bell pepper harvesting will increase by December 1; red and yellow bell production will follow in late December
- Prices will remain elevated until harvesting increases in Mexico
Cucumbers and Squash
- Sufficient supplies are being harvested in Central Florida, but low West Coast volume will shift demand and cause East Coast prices to climb
- The California squash season is nearly finished
- Mexican stocks are tightening
- Some Mexican fields that were harvested early are now past their peak; cold temperatures are delaying growth in new fields
- Expect high prices until supplies rebound in two to three weeks
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.