The West Coast bell pepper market will be elevated over the next two to three weeks. Production in Coachella, California and mainland Mexico (into Nogales, Arizona) will come to an end by early next week. As fields ramp up in Bakersfield, California, strong demand will push prices higher by next week.
Green Bell Peppers
- Markon First Crop (MFC) and Markon Essentials (ESS) Green Bell Peppers are sporadic
- Expect light volume over the next two weeks as production in Bakersfield builds up
- Supplies will increase in new areas of the San Joaquin Valley, Gilroy, and Oxnard, California by July
- Prices will remain elevated over the next two weeks
- Quality is excellent
- East Coast supplies are stable
Red Bell Peppers
- MFC Red Bell Peppers are sporadic
- Production in Coachella is past its peak
- High temperatures in the Coachella Valley have reduced yields
- Harvests will transition north to Bakersfield by late June
- As smaller growers finish up, demand will be concentrated on large growers still in production, pushing prices higher
- Mexican supplies (into Nogales) will wind down over the next two weeks
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.