Bell pepper prices will continue to be elevated for the next few weeks on both coasts. Production areas are moving to northern growing regions for the summer. High temperatures in California and Georgia have reduced yields; quality issues may include softness, discoloration, and dark spotting (especially on red and yellow colored peppers). Markets will ease as production increases.
Green Bell Peppers
- Markon First Crop (MFC) and Markon Essentials (ESS) Green Bell Peppers are available
- Georgia finished early due to high temperatures; summer fields in the Carolinas, Michigan, and Tennessee are just starting with minimal volume
- East coast production will improve by the week of July 20
- West Coast stocks have been limited, but will start to increase by the end of next week from new areas of the San Joaquin Valley, Gilroy, and Oxnard, California
Red and Yellow Bell Peppers
- MFC and ESS Red and Yellow Bell Peppers will be available sporadically until volume improves on the west coast
- New production started this week which will improve quality; volume will improve in 2-3 weeks when summer regions start in the San Joaquin Valley, Gilroy and Oxnard, California
- Quality challenges resulting from high temperatures reduced yields as production finished in Coachella Valley, but expect excellent quality from new summer regions
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.