Bell pepper prices are rising on both coasts. Seasonal transitions, high temperatures, and increased demand for the Fourth of July are resulting in limited supplies of green, red, and yellow bell peppers. Expect elevated markets until supplies increase from new growing areas.
Green Bell Peppers
- Spring crops in Georgia are finishing abruptly due to high temperatures; summer fields in the Carolinas, Michigan, and Tennessee are just starting with minimal volume
- Tight East Coast supplies are pushing demand to California
- West Coast stocks will be limited for the next 7 to 10 days until production increases in new areas of the San Joaquin Valley, Gilroy, and Oxnard, California
- Prices will be higher than normal until stocks increase
Red and Yellow Bell Peppers
- High temperatures in the Coachella Valley of California have reduced yields and compromised quality (including softness, discoloration, and dark spotting)
- Markon recommends ordering for quick turns
- Bakersfield is starting to harvest limited quantities; volume won’t be consistent until the end of next week
- Growers will transition to the San Joaquin Valley in approximately two weeks
- Prices will be elevated for several weeks
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.