The California asparagus season is expected to end by July 1. Most orders will be shipped from Central Mexico through mid-September; production will also start in Baja, Mexico and Peru in September. Prices will be steady to slightly lower while Mexican harvests hit peak production during the month of July.
- Markon First Crop Asparagus will be available until the California season ends, but will shipped in packer label until the new crop season starts in Baja, Mexico in September
- California quality remains very good; stalks are firm with compact tips
- Size is typically smaller from Mexican supplies than domestic; very few extra-large and jumbo sizes will be on the market
- Expect prices to rise sharply in early August as Mexican volume decreases and production is affected by the Pacific hurricane season (August through October)
- Peruvian imports will supplement orders; most industry supplies from Peru from September through December
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.