Asparagus prices are rising fast as supplies are tight in Mexico and Peru. Growers are transitioning from the Baja peninsula to growing regions in mainland Mexico.
- Markon First Crop Asparagus is expected to be available by the week of December 21
- Last week’s freezing temperatures have caused a slight gap between Mexican growing areas; more cold weather is expected next week, further limiting stocks
- Peruvian supplies are also tight; El Nino is causing abnormally warm weather and pushing harvesting ahead of schedule; demand is also shifting to Peruvian supplies due to extremely low Mexican volume
- Large sizes are especially limited (jumbo, large, and extra-large); small sizes (standard and small) are more plentiful
- The market is expected to remain at elevated levels for the next several weeks due to strong holiday demand and tight supplies
- Industry stocks will increase by mid-January; 28-pound pack sizes will be available by that time
Please contact your Markon customer support representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.