While sporadic asparagus supplies from Peru are being used to fill orders, production out of Mexico is increasing. Markon First Crop Asparagus will be available January 4, 2017.
- When asparagus is grown, ferns grow to be roughly four to six feet high (above ground)
- Water is then cut off from the fields, allowing it to dry
- After the fields dry, burning the field (picture attached) is the final step in sending as many nutrients as possible back to the underground root system
- After the fire is out, the grower will flood the field, triggering the life cycle again
- In California, burning is not allowed, so growers actually cut and haul ferns to compost dumps
- When the weather warms, spears start shooting up and crews will harvest
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.