Despite limited supplies in the Mexican growing region, prices have remained relatively steady. With Easter on the horizon, the market is now forecast to climb rapidly. Harvesting has begun in Salinas and Stockton, California but domestic supplies are expected to remain tight through the holiday. Markon First Crop (MFC) Asparagus is available in Yuma, Arizona. Expect the market to increase over the next 7 to 10 days.
• The California growing season has begun; domestic MFC Asparagus will be available out of Salinas the week of April 13
• Sufficient supplies are expected in Salinas this season, however overall California acreage has been declining each year
o San Joaquin Valley acreage has been reducing steadily
o Land, labor, and water costs are high; water availability is decreasing
• The Mexican season will end over the next three to four weeks
• Quality is very good in both regions
• Expect elevated prices and tight supplies due to strong Easter holiday demand
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.