New crop apples are now available in California, Michigan, and Washington. Washington Markon First Crop (MFC) Gala and Golden Delicious Apples have just started shipping. New crop MFC Red Delicious and Granny Smith Apples will be available next week. New crop MFC Fuji Apples will be on the market the week of September 14.
- Growers are shipping the Gala and Fuji varieties
- Gala supplies are expected to remain on the market through September, while Fuji stocks should run through October
- Pink Lady apples will be available starting late September and will remain available through mid-November
- Growers are currently shipping Paul Red and Ginger Gold apples
- Gala, McIntosh, Honeycrisp, Jonagold, and Red Delicious varieties will be available by late September; Fuji and Braeburn apples will be available in late October
- The 2015-2016 crop estimates are down approximately 10 percent from the 2014-2015 season; 24 million bushels are expected to be shipped this season versus 27 million in 2014-2015
- Estimates released by Washington's apple industry indicate the 2015-2016 apple crop will be down approximately 14 percent from the 2014-2015 season (which was the third largest in the state's history); nearly 235 million bushels are forecast to be shipped this season versus 264 million in 2014-2015
- Record high summer temperatures, drought, and hail storms have all played a role in the reduced volume
- 2015-2016 FOB prices are expected to be higher on average as compared to the 2014-2015 crop; 2014-2015 apple crop prices were lowered due to the record crop, fewer exports out of West Coast ports, and the closure of the Russian market
- 2015-2016 apple crop size will be dominated by 100- through 125-count fruit (which is conducive to the foodservice sector)
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.