Live From the Fields: Yuma Iceberg Quality
November 04, 2016
Please click here to view a Markon Live From the Fields video about current quality in the initial iceberg fields in the Yuma region.
- Temperatures have reached the low to mid-90s causing initial iceberg fields to exhibit some minor quality issues, including:
- Bottom rot
- Long core/seeder
- Internal burn
- Ribby shape
- Smaller size
- Temperatures are expected to remain in the low 90s over the next few days
- Expect quality to improve as the season ramps up
- The first green leaf lettuce fields will be harvested in the next several days as growers finish the Salinas season and move to the Yuma region
- Markon inspectors will continue to monitor upcoming supply levels and update further as needed
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.