Live From the Fields: Heat-Related Quality Issues Continue
September 01, 2015
LIVE FROM THE FIELDS: HEAT-RELATED QUALITY ISSUES CONTINUE
August 28, 2015
Please click here to view a Markon Live from the Fields video about how hot temperatures are prolonging quality problems and creating supply challenges in Salinas Valley lettuce crops.
- Markon First Crop Premium Iceberg Lettuce is limited; Markon Best Available is being substituted as needed
- Abnormally warm weather from late June through the present has caused industry-wide quality and shelf-life concerns
- Lettuce items, in particular, have been exhibiting long core/seeder, diminishing overall yields
- Other issues such as decay, dehydration, insect pressure, and internal burn have been observed by Markon inspectors
- Temperatures over the last two days have climbed into the upper 80s to mid-90s and are expected to prolong quality problems
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.