FROM THE FIELDS: Salinas/Watsonville Strawberry Update
October 12, 2016
Please click hereto view a Markon Live from the Fields video about the potential impact of rain on strawberries from the Salinas and Watsonville, California growing regions.
- Markon First Crop Strawberries are not available; Markon Best Available is being substituted as needed
- Most of the berries damaged by recent high temperatures have been culled, but some size and texture concerns persist
- The first significant storm of the season is expected to bring approximately one inch of rainfall this weekend
- Pending precipitation totals and subsequent quality/supply issues, many growers may call an early end to the season
- Markon has already begun moving strawberry orders to Santa Maria, California where new crop fall harvests are ramping up
- Santa Maria is expecting little or no rain from this storm system, but Markon inspectors will be monitoring product and will update with more information soon
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.