FROM THE FIELDS: Salinas/Watsonville Strawberries
October 18, 2016
Please click here to view a Markon Live from the Fields video about rain-related issues being found in strawberries from the Salinas/Watsonville, California growing region.
- The Salinas/Watsonville growing region received between .35” and 1.5” of rainfall over the weekend
- Most ripe fruit was affected by significant water damage; decay is also developing in many berries
- Click here to view pictures of water damage and decay
- Growers are still assessing whether to continue picking for the fresh market or end their season at this time
- With another chance of showers possible next week, the likelihood of extending the fresh market season any longer is very low
- Markon inspectors are now monitoring quality in Santa Maria, California where fall berry production is ramping up
- A heat spike is expected in Santa Maria by mid-week and has the potential to cause more quality and supply concerns
- Click here for more pictures of water damage and decay
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.