FROM THE FIELDS: Heat Related Defects in Yuma, Arizona
November 11, 2016
Please click hereto view a Markon Live from the Fields video about heat-related defects in the initial harvests of iceberg and leaf lettuce items in Yuma, Arizona.
- Temperatures in the mid-80s to low 90s have caused industry-wide, heat-related defects
- Quality issues such as long core/seeder and ribby texture are prevalent in leaf lettuce items such as green leaf and romaine
- Dehydration, internal burn, protruding ribs, and weak tips are also present in many lots
- Markon First Crop Premium Green Leaf, Iceberg, and Romaine are not available in this region yet; Markon Best Available will be substituted due to these quality issues
- Cooler temperatures are expected over the next several days, but the effects of the heat may last through late November
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.